Performance Cruising Sails
Custom-laid fiber-aligned sail laminates
Competition-level performance with trouble-free cruising durability
Powerful performance with better shape retention, higher strength and greater durability...
The ultimate in high performance cruising sails, delivering competition level performance, combined with durability, for years of easy handling and trouble free sailing.
Cruising sails with unsurpassed performance
Stratis™ pre-impregnated fiber technology provides unmatched flexibility in fiber orientation, accuracy of placement and superior lamination. All fibers are load bearing, converging to every load point. Producing stronger, lighter sails that are much smoother when set, hold their shape better with significantly less stretch, and last longer than conventional sails.
External polyester tafettas provide excellent durability and improve the flex properties of the laminate and protect fibers from abrasion and UV damage. Taffetas can be incorporated on one of both sides of the sail.
Stratis™ laminates using either clear UV absorbing films of Ti02 coated taffetas with UV absorbers provide much greater protection from UV than standard PET film laminates.
Distortion-free reef dynamics
Advanced technology enables full load path fiber layouts to be mapped to each reef point on both mainsails and furling headsails. The increased stability of the fibre-aligned membrane shakes out to a smooth, distortion free sail, even after being reefed for long periods.
Advances over conventional sails
Sails fabricated in the conventional method by cutting and placing many separate panels, can only approximate the different load paths of a sail. Stratis™ fibre- aligned sails have fibres mapped directly along all load paths. Every fibre is load bearing, making a stronger, lighter and more durable sail.
Roller furling sails
Stratis™ boom furling mainsails and roller furling headsails are custom designed with fibres laid for loads generated when the sail is furled. In conventional furling sails the uneven thickness of large reefing patches on the leech inhibits smooth furling. Stratis™ elminates this problem, enabling smooth furling with a series of reefing position.
Each Stratis™ sail is custom designed and custom manufactured in-house by Doyle Sailmakers
- Shape dynamics are designed in 3 dimesions for smooth shape transitions
- Load paths are calculated and mapped to the performance specifications of each sail, ensuring accurate weight calculations and optimised lamination.
- Sections are laminated flat before shipping. Extremely high pressures ensure delaminating will not occur under sail.
- Taffeta plus Vectran, Carbon or Twaron yarn options. Vectran and Carbon provide stretch resistance with a higher modulus and much better flex properies than Kevlar.
- Anti-microbial coatings plus Ti02 coatings incorporated in taffeta surfaces.
- Stratis™ sails are 15% - 30% lighter than conventional panel sails.
- Color options available.