Published on September 23rd, 2018 by Scuttlebutt Sailing News
The 2018 edition of the J/70 World Championship has attracted 90+ entrants to compete for Open and Corinthian Class titles September 25-29 in Marblehead, MA.
Among the team may represent the most unprecedented assemblage of world-class talent ever gathered together in a single one-design regatta in history – keelboat or dinghy.
Teams have come from as far away as Australia, Germany, Mexico, Canada, Italy, Great Britain, Japan, Monaco, Russia, Spain, Norway, Switzerland, Sweden and Turkey. Additionally, South America is well represented: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Uruguay.
To appreciate the relative “fire power” and depth of talent that some J/70 teams bring to the table, here are the notable combinations of the top USA skippers and pro-sailors on the leading teams:
• Jud Smith’s AFRICA: 3x Etchells 22 World Champion, 2017 J/70 World Champion/ Lucas Calabrese- Olympics 470 Bronze Medallist for Argentina
• Tim Healy’s USA 2: first J/70 World Champion, 3x J/70 Midwinter Champion, 2x J/24 World Champion/ John Mollicone- Brown University Coach and 2x J/24 World Champion
• Joel Ronning’s CATAPULT: J/70 World Champion, Melges 32 World Champion/ John Kostecki- J/24 World Champion/ Offshore World Champion, America’s Cup Champion
• Peter Duncan’s RELATIVE OBSCURITY: J/70 World Champion/ Willem van Waay and Victor Diaz de Leon- 2x J/70 World Champion crew
• Glenn Darden’s HOSS: J/105 North American Champion, J/80 North American & World Champion/ Jonathan McKee- Olympic Gold Medallist
• Brian Keane’s SAVASANA: 3x College All-American & J/80 North American Champion/ Thomas Barrows was College Sailor of the Year at Yale.
• Bruce Golison’s MIDLIFE CRISIS: Etchells 22 World Champion/ J/24 North American Champion
• Martie Kullman’s HYDRA: J/22 World Champion
• John Brim’s RIMETTE: Storm Trysail Offshore Champion on Farr 60 RIMA/ Taylor Canfield- 3x World Match Racing Champion/ 2x Congressional Cup Match Race Champion
• Will Welles’ SCAMP: 2x J/24 World Champion/ J/24 North American Champion
• Jack Franco’s 3 BALL JT: 2x College All-American/ Bill Hardesty- Etchells 2x World Champion & J/70 World Champion/ Allen Terhune- J/22 World Champion.
• Pat Toole’s 3 BIG DOGS: J/24 North American Champion
• Chris Snow’s COOL STORY BRO: J/24 North American Champion & J/70 West Coast Champion
• Bill Lynn’s FLYING NONE: 2x Sonar World Champion
• Jenn & Ray Wulff’s JOINT CUSTODY: J/70 North American Corinthian Champion
• Tom Bowen’s REACH AROUND: J/70 North American Champion
• Bruno Pasquinelli’s STAMPEDE: J/70 Midwinter Series Champion/ Eric Doyle- Star World Champion
• John & Molly Baxter’s TEAM VINEYARD VINES: J/70 Midwinter Series Champion
• Mark Foster’s WINTERWIND: J/22 World Champion and J/24 North American Champion
Read the full story here...